Saturday, November 08, 2008

What to Do? What to Do?

Having three months of job-free downtime has the tendency to lead to a lot of thinking. Musing, if you will. I constantly joke about the uselessness of my degree and how advisers and the career center attempted to convince us that English is major open to numerous career opportunities. The trouble? Even if what they say is true, when I look over the list, there is nothing that I actually want to do. Nothing. Even writing itself doesn't feel quite there for me.

What's a liberal arts fellow to do? Any job I manage to land will be completely unrelated and only for financial support, so I still find myself wondering what in Loki's name I want to do with my life.

Recently, in an attempt to stir up some material for a story, I made a list of things that mattered to me the most. It wasn't helpful in its intended regard, but it did reveal something to me. Social justice is far more important to me than anything else. This is why I am so upset about the outcome of many of the ballot measures in this election cycle.

The question I now must ask myself: How does one become an activist? Secondarily: Can I make a living doing it?

I'd like to do work for a nonprofit, but I don't know how to find them. As I understand it, Tucson is actually a hotbed for nonprofits, but they seem to be hiding.

For now I have to go back to looking for a job with ever-lowering standards. Forgive me if I don't pump my fist in the air with enthusiasm.

No comments: